Monday, February 9, 2009

Fable 2 - The delayed review!

OK. So it's 2009. You may have noticed that some time has passed since my ‘just prior to buying Fable 2’ post. Well I bought it, I played it and I enjoyed it. That’s the summary. Now let’s have a little more detail. First of all I went into the game with a vision. A character I wanted to be, and to see how the game let me deliver the character. I wanted to be an ‘east end gangster’ type. Loved in my hometown of Bowerstone, (because I was kind and generous) and hated and feared elsewhere in the kingdom. I would be handsome to start, with good gangster family values, but a womanising badboy when out of town.

All went well, aside from very worrying initial doubts, when after playing for a while, I thought to myself, “Hang on. This game is boring! What’s so great about Fable 2? All I’m doing is being a blacksmith!” Then the game began to charm me. My character developed. I bought a house and got married and had a child, (verrry evil!) and Gargoyles began to abuse me. After being held captive (SPOILER ALERT!) for a decade my character became even more evil, not to mention a sex crazed alcoholic fat killer. Wow! Fable really let me do it. Gaming fun and I never really felt compelled to act contrary to how my character, as decided pre-game, should act. The sound again lived up to what I expected, although my gaming conspirator rightly criticised the initial quote, “and so the story begins” (or something) NO IT DOESN’T! It continues!!! How hard is that to do! It only begins with a new game!

OK. That quibble aside, the sound and music was very good, as was the dialogue.
Game wise the much vaunted co-op play was a joke. It’s not coop play. It’s just a chance to share a friend’s world and look about. Play is severely restricted and the camera is a pain! So co-op should have been mentioned as a tourism feature, not a gaming feature if you ask me. As that it would have been a success. As compared to co-op play in Crackdown for example? Well no. It just doesn’t compare.

I finished the game in the main, and was looking forward to continuing, but basically got darked out by Fallout 3. And that stopped my 360 gaming for the present time!
What has replaced it? Read my next blog for a blast from a long distant past (in more ways than one….)

No comments: